Attractions : Forts
P.O. Box 99, Placentia, NL A0B 2Y0
227.2151 (Ext. 226)
With the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713, Plaisance was ceded to the British. At this point, the community came to be known as Placentia.
After briefly occupying Fort Louis, around 1720, the British built the redoubt Fort Frederick to help fortify their acquisition of Placentia. So-named in honour of HRH Prince Frederick, it served as the military headquarters from 1721-1746.
Given its function, the plan showing the architectural design of Fort Frederick indicates its military function with locations for barracks, officersâ€™ quarters, a platform for gunners and storehouse. Archaeological excavations have also revealed that part of its construction involved a picketed work with a stone semi-circular battery.
Although Fort Frederick was actively used, it was poorly maintained. By the 1740s, the British began construction of New Fort which overlaid the former Fort Louis (see on NL Geotourism Mapguide). In 1744, some work was done to improve and strengthen the redoubt. And during the Seven Years War when Governor Thomas Graves was forced to temporarily move to Placentia following an attack on St. John's by the French, Fort Frederick was partially repaired.
Nonetheless, its days were numbered. And after this time, the Fort was left to decay until in 1811, it was officially abandoned, its ordnance removed.
Today, the piece of history that Fort Frederick nobly reflects is commemorated by a plaque and two cannons.
(Source: www.placentiapastpresent.ca. For additional information, see Canada's Historic Places)
Hours Open: All hours
Time Period Represented: 18th century
Seasons Open: All seasons
Visitor Fees: Free of charge
Email: Click Here